Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween Ain't Over

It's my favorite holiday. I have been a pirate, a gypsy, a flapper (more than once) and this year a geisha. I love giving candy to kids--but scaring them first. I love Victorian Halloweens and candied apples and old-fashioned spook houses with bowls of peeled grapes for eyeballs and boiled spaghetti for guts. I love Old Hallow's Eve, the skull and crossbones, the witch's cauldron, playing dress up, sneaking from house to house, apartment to apartment, club to club, in search of goodies.

Halloween is proof that things can be spooky and fun at the same time. I don't react to fear well since 9/11. But yesterday, the sidewalks in my neighborhood glittered with lost sequins and stray rhinestones from all the costumes of the high school kids, putting aside their neat urban cynicism for one day--not Christmas, really--but Halloween, to dress up as lions and rock stars and giant butterflies.

We should always dress up--it's good for us to get out in full costume, in full makeup, and tear apart the town. It gives us girls the illusion of confidence, as we strut in slutty costumes (and any costume can be made stutty). It give the boys imagination, and the ones without costumes at last night's masquerade ball did not interest me or my corseted friend, Miss Julie.

Enough with casual fridays and Gap wear and boxers. Let's dress up again, and make it All Hallows Eve all over again.

BOO!

1 Comments:

Blogger pied piper said...

It's my favorite holiday.

Hmmm.... somehow, I'm not surprised. ;)

But the deep question is why weren't you a victorian magician this year?

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home