Thursday, September 14, 2006

SAD cures

So it's that time of year where I once again consider going to Rubalad, that lovely surreal sex- drug- art- music- scene driven warehouse party in Brooklyn which no one has ever heard of. Or, at least, no one outside the few hundred or so people that pack into it. Ah....just the way I like it.

Of course, it is hard to account for an sex- drug- etc driven night when you are meeting your friend's midwestern mother the next day. I realize I play the interesting, flaky, usually-out-of-it bad-girl role in most of my friendships, but I think showing up with dilated pupils and grinding teeth for a Sunday Brunch With Mother seems rather unwise.

But dammit, I want to be unwise! I've been cooped up forever.

In book news, my latest proposal for The Devil Inside Her: A Pop History of Wicked Women is going out to editors this week. The link is a convenient and fast way to tell you about my book, which is wicked women and pop culture, but please note that the book is NOT going to be published by Seal (thank god) and may not have the same cover. It feels fabulous and scary to go out with it again, with a new agent. And, before you ask, in the interest of keeping things civilized, I will not explain why Seal and I parted. But it was definitely for the best. Onward and Upward.

For those of you who have not seen the OK GO video for "Here We Go Again," I advise you to stop what you are doing, and click on this link. You will see a fuzzy picture of men in bright pants jumping up and down on treadmills. Play this video. I do not suggest this lightly. Today in New York, it rained that grimy, muddy rain that coats the bottom of your pants and flattens your hair. It was not a good day to walk dogs or run errands, both of which I had to do. But halfway through my day I remembered this video, and smiled instinctively. Clever. Amusing. Seemingly Effortless. I realized then and there that this video is an instant cure to the SAD (Seriously Ass-hat Day) that many are experiencing. Take twice and download again in the morning. Also highly recommended is lead singer Damian Kulash's article for ElleGirl last year about why you should never date a musician. Sigh. But....they can't all be doomed to roam the earth alone, can they? Sigh.

When you awake from your gloom, you will want to party. I suggest buying all your stemware from The Scandalous Cup, a downtown boutique devoted to the art of drinking well. The website alone indicates that these people are, ahem, spirited folk and the Den of Iniquity will soon lead to The Scandalous Society, an movement to bring back the freewheeling speakeasy era of the 1920's Jazz Age. I'm all for it.

Back to Rubulad. Can I go and remain a lady (keeping, as my mother once said, both feet firmly on the floor) and not spend money and be back by 1 AM?

Doubtful.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Can I go and remain a lady (keeping, as my mother once said, both feet firmly on the floor) and not spend money and be back by 1 AM?"

Doubtful.


Doubtful indeed, interesting-flaky-usually-out-of-it bad-girl. Brooklyn's practically in another time zone -- that alone would sink you. ;)

10:05 PM  
Blogger haRee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home