Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ban This Post


China banned primetime airing of The Simpsons today, which is not merely a crime against art and free expression, but of bad public policy as well. The Chinese government is banning The Simpsons, along with Pokeman and other terrifying cartoons, to help the country's struggling animations studios. Here are my two predictions:

1. There will be an enormous rise of blackmarket Simpson DVD's of current episodes.
2. The Simpson will do a cartoon banning episode featuring Itchy and Scratchy.

Come on, gentle Commies--with Fidel on the brink, this is not the time to make enemies. As for animators, my heart is with you, but my head is capitalist: want to recapture your audience? make better cartoons. Until then, the black market thanks you.

I don't like bans. I don't think they solve anything, financially or artistically. But so many people in the world live under restrictions I can't imagine, and yet find a way to express themselves. For example, in this month's issue of Marie Claire (the one with Maggie Gyllenhaal modeling silent film-era goth girl chic), there's a fascinating article on wealthy, fashion-conscious Saudi Arabian women. (I'd link it if I could, but the Marie Claire website is remarking stingy. Not even a taste, ladies?). Covered from head to foot in black burkas, these women indulge in top-notch designer handbags, extravagant stilletos, and the one bit of fashion allowed to them: a head scarf. Some tips from the ladies? By Cavalli scarves if you want to get noticed. Stocking their fashions in closets Kimora Lee Simmons would envy, they have turned shopping into a minimalist art form: when there is no choice, the chosen must be exquisite.

For more burka-related humor, I did find the last few minutes of an American Dad repeat rather ingenious, complete with a Roxie-Hart style song and lots of gyration. I will quote only the last lines:

"If you have a vagina, clitoris or labia
Don't relocate to Saudi Arabia."

The truth of which I cannot verify, so no hate mail please. But I thought the rhyme was rather neat.

Fashion, rebellion and rhyme. Some of my favorite things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home